National AIDS Memorial Grove
Finding a place for your car can be challenging, so taking public transportation is encouraged.
If you’ve never been there, pair up with someone who has.
If you drive, go early for better parking
Larger Map | Memorial Grove Website
Using Public Transportation
- Take any of the following buses west from downtown: #5, 7, 21, or 73.
- Get off at the stop at the intersection of Stanyan and Haight directly across the street from McDonald’s.
- Enter Golden Gate Park through the Stanyan Street gates just north of the bus stop.
- Follow the nearest path down to the left, through the tunnel that passes beneath Kezar Boulevard, on through the meadow, staying to the right as the path splits on the other side of the tunnel.
- Soon, you will see the tennis courts. Follow the path around to the left of the tennis courts and out to Bowling Green Drive.
- The Grove is right across the street at the intersection of Bowling Green Drive and Nancy Pelosi Drive.
MUNI Metro (N Judah)
- On the underground N-Judah streetcar, come west (away from downtown) to the intersection of Carl and Arguello, about 6 blocks away from the place where the MUNI cars exit the tunnel on the west side of Buena Vista Park.
- Get off at Arguello.
- Go north (to your right as you face west), down the hill two blocks, and across Kezar Drive at the intersection with Martin Luther King Drive.
- Follow MLK for one block and then turn right on Bowling Green Drive. Follow Bowling Green two blocks until you see the National AIDS Memorial Grove on the left side, at the intersection with Nancy Pelosi Drive.
- The Main Portal of the National AIDS Memorial Grove is represented by a red star.
What to Expect
The National AIDS Memorial Grove is in a gorgeously secluded meadow in Golden Gate Park. There are little or no services nearby.
Often the fog is licking at the sky above especially in the summer, bring sunscreen and a wrap.
Bring something to sit on; pack a lunch or bring snacks and beverages;
Flags are available for use; usually a few furry friends roaming.
Our DJ spins vocal fun-filled dance music and flow artists eagerly enjoy and share their art with newcomers.
No pressure to participate, come relax and take in the color and beauty of our tribe.
About Flagging in the Park
In 1997 a group of San Francisco flaggers started a tradition of celebrating life by gathering in the newly dedicated National AIDS Memorial Grove.
Here we are twenty years later, the event is thriving and growing; with the DJs, organizers, and participants donating their time, energy and love to help raise money for mostly local (sometimes national) non-profits.
Proving it takes a village, this event would not happen without the support of these partners: National AIDS Memorial Grove, Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Pretty in Ink, Gloss Magazine, Flagger Central, and the many volunteers that help with set up and strike.
Make sure to let them know you appreciate their help with FITP!
- Joey Wong & Tom Steele (May)
- Andrew Lopez & Xavier Caylor (June)
- Michele Laskowski & Jeff Kennedy (July)
- Amy Lam & Joey Wong (September)
- Ric de Barros & Andrew Lopez (October)